Monday 28 July 2014

Making a better future for their boys, Owsley County couple work hard to get degrees

Friday, May 16, 2014

Nicholas Banks, left, graduated on May 10 with an associates degree from Hazard Community and Technical College and is three semesters away from getting his bachelor's in criminal justice from Eastern Kentucky University. His wife, Ashley, will finish her HCTC degree in human services in the fall of 2015. (Photo from HCTC)

Nicholas Banks, left, graduated on May 10 with an associates degree from Hazard Community and Technical College and is three semesters away from getting his bachelor's in criminal justice from Eastern Kentucky University. His wife, Ashley, will finish her HCTC degree in human services in the fall of 2015. (Photo from HCTC)

 
Husband-and-wife teams share many things – a home, a family and, often, a business. Ashley and Nicholas Banks even share participation in the Ready to Work program and their march to college graduation.
 
The Owsley County couple were helped by the program to enroll in Hazard Community and Technical College – Nicholas on the way to becoming a parole officer and Ashley on her way to working as a counselor or a manager, essentially whatever she chooses with her degree in human services.
 
Nicholas graduated last weekend from from HCTC with an associate's degree in applied science and will be attending Eastern Kentucky University in the fall to pursue a bachelor's in criminal justice. Ashley plans to complete her HCTC degree in the fall of 2015.
 
"Ready to Work has helped me so much it's really unbelievable," said Nicholas. "I did not even graduate high school. I actually started on the Work and Learn program and stayed on that progr am until I earned my GED in 2010. It took me three tries!"
 
"I have never been very confident in myself and never really felt that I could accomplish much of anything," he added, "but when I earned my GED, I began to see that I was just as capable of doing this as anyone else and my newfound confidence has been the drive that I have needed to succeed."
 
He credits the RTW program at HCTC with helping him succeed and get the "chance to better my life for my family and myself."
 
Ashley concurs with Nicholas' assessment of RTW. "Ready to Work has been a wonderful experience for me. I have been able to earn some income to provide for my boys as well as pursue my educational goals. Without this program I highly doubt that this would have ever been possible," she said.
 
"I am proud of Nicholas and Ashley and all that they have accomplished," said Sandy Campbell, the RTW coordinator at HCTC. "They are a perfect example of le arning to overcome personal struggles to reach their full potential. Their story should be an inspiration for others as well."
 
While Nicholas struggled with self-esteem, Ashley's struggles have been more recent and involved the death of her father.
 
"My dad was diagnosed with stage-three lung cancer in April 2013 and he passed away April 5, 2014. It was one of the hardest things I have ever faced," said Ashley. "That whole week it seemed that I allowed my work to fall behind; I really could not make myself care.
 
"Then one day I heard my Daddy's voice in my head telling me to get up and do that work, so I did. I caught up on every assignment that I had missed. If I have learned anything, you cannot let life's struggles get you down. You have to keep at it even on days you don't really want to."
 
Nicholas thinks anyone can be helped by the program.
 
"Anyone can do this! I mean, look at me. I never even had a hig h school diploma. I dropped out my senior year of high school," he said.
 
"When my first son was born, I realized I had to do something to better myself for my family and I had no idea that RTW could have led me so far. It still blows me away that I am only three semesters away from my bachelor's degree in criminal justice. It's been such a blessing to be a part of such a wonderful program."
 
Like her husband, Ashley knows the struggles a parent with children faces when going back to school, but believes it's worth it.
 
"I would advise anyone who has a desire to further their education to start now; it's never too late," she said, adding, "I won't say that it has been easy. There have been many nights that I have sat at my kitchen table and worked on papers until three in the morning and then rolled out of bed to get my boys ready for school at six, but it has all been worth it … and I hope they see how hard that their dad and I have worked to make sure they have the best beginning possible."
 
From HCTC

Comments

comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment