Friday 23 May 2014

Eight years and three deployments later, local soldier earns degree

(Photo)
SUBMITTED photo Sgt. Joseph Adams of Dexter poses while serving one of his three military deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq. After eight years and three military deployments, Adams received his bachelor's degree in criminal justice during last weekend's spring commencement exercises at Southeast Missouri State University.
By LEONNA HEURING

SEMO News Service

When Joseph Adams of Dexter enrolled in his first college course, he never thought it would take him eight years to complete his degree.

However, while in pursuit of a bachelor's degree in criminal justice, the U.S. Army sergeant served three military deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan.

On Saturday, May 17, 2014, Adams received his degree at Southeast Missouri State University's spring commencement exercises in the Show Me Center at Cape Girardeau.

Adams said the feeling of walking across the stage to accept his diploma on Saturday was an incredible one.

"It's something I've worked hard to get to, and I was ready to check that box and move on," Adams said. "It's weird because all my friends graduated a long time ago."

Originally from Neosho, Adams who is the son of Vietnam War veteran Jim Adams of Dexter and Rose Quick of Nixa, said he comes from a military family. So after high school, he completed his basic training and enrolled in college.

However, in 2007, at the end of a spring semester, Adams was called to Panama to work in military security for three weeks. Three days after he returned, he was told he would deploy to Ramadi, Iraq, where he was part of the police transition teams.

"We lived with the Iraqi police and conducted missions with them and trained them and supervised them, providing them with basic policing skills," Adams recalled.

He returned to the states in 2008 and started back to college.

"When I first went to college, I thought it was something I was supposed to do. I didn't know what to expect. When I left on my first deployment, I matured a lot. I had a way different mindset when I returned," Adams said.

In 2009, Adams learned he would deploy to Bahrain, Afghanistan. Before leaving on his second deployment, Adams said he moved to Dexter to be with his family and he took a semester of courses at Southeast Missouri State University.

During his second tour of duty, Adams worked in a prison facility where his job function was to be sergeant of the guard in the special housing unit.

All the while, Adams continued with his college courses. His professors were always understanding with his military obligations, he said. Besides, he knew about his deployments enough in advance that he could plan his course schedule accordingly.

It's not that the thought of quitting college didn't cross his mind, Adams said.

"It hit me every day," Adams said. "The military alone is good to get a job. I believe education is the way to get a better job. I knew had to finish."

Plus, Adams said he felt like he had to go to college because the military provides such great educational benefits many people don't get.

In 2012, Adams received news he was heading back to Afghanistan again, this time to Kandahar City. He returned from his third tour of duty in the fall of 2013.

"We were in charge of every squad and personal security detail for higher ranking officials," Adams said. "We were police transition teams. We trained Afghan employees at their police stations and worked in security."

Because of his experience working as military police, Adams pursued his degree with an emphasis in law enforcement.

Several of his friends have earned their master's degrees in the time it has taken him to earn a bachelor's degree, and that's fine with him.

"At times I can feel like I'm behind the curve, but then I also feel like I'm ahead of the curve because of the experiences I've already had," Adams said.

Adams even met his girlfriend, who is a medic in the military, during one of his deployments.

He's thankful to live in today's society where military services are valued, Adams said.

"Now people look for veterans with degrees, and companies want them because they've worked in stressful situations and are good management material," Adams said.

Adams said he applies his experiences to his everyday life.

"I learned from the military, you can do anything. They throw crazy things in there so you feel like you can do anything," Adams said.

Adams said he's in the hiring process for a business management position in Florida .

"I love the military, but I got out in order to set up my life here," said Adams, who will also begin pursuing a bachelor's degree in business.

Last week was somewhat bittersweet for the Dexter veteran. Thursday marked one year since the death of his comrade, Sgt. 1st Class Trenton Rhea of Oakley, Kan., 33, who died conducting combat operations in Kandahar City, Afghanistan.

"It made for an emotional week," Adams said. "He was the guy who pushed everybody constantly and one of the best people I've ever known. I'm sure he would like to have known that I graduated," Adams said of Rhea.

Adams served with Rhea in Ramadi, Iraq, where they were in the same platoon and in Kandahar, where they were in the same company, the 603rd MP Company out of Belton, Mo.

"He was a great guy, and everything he did was for the betterment of himself and the soldiers around him," Adams said. "He was always willing to help, provide insight and provide direction."

So with a heavy heart, Adams said he's proud to have received his degree after eight years of hard work.

"I definitely thought I'd be out of there a lot sooner," Adams said. "It was a long time coming, and I was ready for graduation."

0 comments:

Post a Comment